Learn About Our Community
About Heritage Housing Co-op
Our Co-operative Community Lifestyle
Our Co-operative is not able to offer financial assistance to applicants at this time.
Thank you for your interest in Heritage Housing Co-operative. We are situated on the corner of West 8th Avenue and Heather Street in Vancouver. We are close to Broadway, Cambie and Oak streets, convenient for shopping and bus services, with several parks and the Seawall just minutes away. The local English language schools are False Creek Elementary School and Kitsilano Secondary School. L’Ecole Bilingue, for French Immersion, is also nearby.
Heritage Co-op Fact Sheet
Members are required to participate by attending monthly general meetings, by becoming active on one or more committees and by taking their turn on the cleaning rotation of the community areas.
Co-operative housing is an alternative to buying, not an alternative to renting. We all own and operate the Co-op. The members of Heritage take pride in our strong sense of community. We work collectively to maintain a well-managed, caring housing co-operative. Beyond the requirements, we are a community in tune with the needs of its members and lend a helping-hand whenever and wherever needed.
Desirable co-op members are those who go beyond the required hours of commitment, thus both accepting the responsibilities of maintaining our environment as well as enjoying the benefits of living in an exceptional community.
Heritage Housing Co-operative includes 41 units on two sites:
- Site 1 (717 West 8th Ave) – 36 units, as a mix of 1, 2, and 3-bedroom units
- Site 2 (728 West 8th Ave) – 5 units, including one studio and four 1-bedroom units
Each unit has:
- A refrigerator and a stove
- Wall to wall carpeting (or laminate in some units)
- One bathroom (many larger units have two bathrooms)
- Washer and dryer hook-ups in some 2 bedroom and all 3 bedroom units
- Street parking is available, with some areas designated permit-only parking.
- Each unit at 717 W. 8th is allotted one parking space in the garage, and a small storage space.
- Common areas of the co-op include a community meeting room, laundry room (coin operated with two washers and two dryers) children's play area, flower beds, and grass borders.
- Heritage Housing Cooperative is a non-smoking community.
- Pets are welcome (as per our policy, which is available on request)
- Staff: We have a part-time office co-ordinator and an off-site maintenance coordinator